Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Day 9- Giddy up giddy up Tiki to the Mai Tai Hut

First let me clarify that the halfway party was a jubilant success and
as you can tell the last post was not edited by the Captain. Our
navigator (Mark) let some of his random thoughts get posted. Can be
dangerous for our PG rating we are closely monitoring.

Its 2:30pm on Wednesday and we are on port tack with our big kite up
headed for the islands. The Tiki Stub pole is working great even with
the big 3/4 oz. I understand that a few close friends are making some
sort of connection between the stub pole and Capt'n G. I have to say the
repaired Tiki Stub pole is as sturdy as the day it was born. We have had
some serious knock downs and the stub pole has not let us down. One
knock down (Tyler at the helm) filled the port bathroom full of water
because we had the window open. That's some serious layover for the big
Tiki.

On our current course coming down from the north pacific avoiding ice
bergs, we are hoping to be headed about 10 degrees that should take us
right into Kaneohe Bay. if not then we will take a hitch and get on
course. Kelly, the filet mignon, garlic mashed potatoes and salad really
hit the spot and the after dinner treats really satisfied everyone's
sweet tooth. After the party we continued to sail under our shy kite all
night long. It really seems to get crazy around 4-6 am with squalls,
those dastardly masses of clouds, wind (random 20-35) and rain. Trying
to drive the boat in total darkness when a squall sneaks up on you is a
monstrous challenge and white knuckles on the wheel. We hope as we get
south that we encounter few and have less stressful nights sailing.

As our fleet all re groups for the final run it looks like quite a race
to the finish. Tiki J is really doing well and had a good day yesterday.
Bequia has slipped a bit and we hope our better angle to the finish
helps us move up a spot or two. Like Mark keeps saying Tiki Blue can
smell the islands and we are trucking along!

We can't wait to see family and friends at KYC.. Aloha Team Tiki Blue

6 comments:

Squirrely Walls said...

Okay, Gary, I've tried posting numerous comments and none seem to be going through. So, I try once more in hopes Cap'n Ron and I get through to you. We have enjoyed watching your progress and reading your blogs. At first I wanted to add it to my bucket list, until the squalls and knock downs....I am definitely a fair weather sailor. I don't even get on the Olson 25 to race anymore. I think years of Holder racing did me in. Anyway, good job and may you have peaceful winds soon. Shirl

Squirrely Walls said...

oh, and what is this about ice bergs? Thought you were going to Hawaii, not Alaska. Hmmm, what course are you sailing??

Kelly said...

Glad the half way party was fun and that the steaks were a hit. Maybe you should keep some of the squall sailing details to yourself until you get onto dry land like TYLER was driving the boat during a serious knock down...that's my baby you're talking about! Geez...I'm having a hard enough time not worrying and then I read that! I will be in sunny Honolulu by 12:30pm tomorrow, so I will follow your progress from the other side! Be safe (please!) have fun and keep the speed up! Love to all, Kelly

Jimmy said...

Gary,

I am not sure of that close friend that you are talking about... but in the 45 plus years I have known you I have never made fun of you...so it can't be me!

And as for Mark, I think he is on to something big!. Haven't they always said "it's not the size of the Ocean, but the motion of the Ocean"?? So, if you can build it I can market it. I am thinking "let the motion of the Ocean take you to the stars!" Remember Mark, "if you build it, they will come"!

Jimmy

laurensmom said...

Back from a Wednesday Beer Can at RYC, and just had to take a peek at the progress of our wayward dock-mates on Tiki. We miss having you all there to help La Folie ease her way back into the slip (enough later than Tiki that everyone seems to be 2-3 sheets to the wind by then...). On the plus side, we get to be the first (only) ones back to the dock for a short while!

The return crew is making note of all the spare parts and repairs they'll have to account for before heading back. As Torben says, it seems to be a growing list. ;-)

Cheers - Ginny

Sis said...

Sounds like some serious sailing out there!!! Ok my day dreaming of being out there on the ocean with you is over!!! :>) Sounds like a wild ride, and I only like to do that on horses,.. (well not even that anymore)!!! Have a safe rest of your journey to the islands!!!! Gar- don't worry about the pg rating and Marks random thoughts, I do cut and paste the blogs before giving them to Mom and Dad haha what a good sister I am :>) Well let the Big Tiki Girl Fly without anymore knock downs or windows filling with water. Go Stubby Go.