Sunday, November 23, 2014

Thoughts from Captain Steve Hill from Coyote about the 2014 Pac Cup Race


Thanks Gary...

The PacCup races are so interesting, especially at night, every night is so different from all the others for me.

But the 2014 Pacific Cup race was so special, I will never forget.  TIki Blue, Tiki Blue, where are you.

The Tiki Blue vs Coyote Battle Royal was just terrific.....It must have been 5 days long, all I know is every time I came on watch, the crew would point in the direction where Tiki Blue was.  Some times this was in front of us and over the horizon (drat) and others it was on our port, or later on our starboard, oops then on our port side again!

I thought for sure, when we reached the "secret" jibe point, jibing for the finish, we would split up, and not see each other for the remainder....but was I wrong - EVERYONE jibed at nearly the same exact spot, and there we were neck and neck for the climax of the battle.

Then the last night was frigging crazy windy,,,,, Isn't it bizarre the winds we will fly spinnakers in out in the ocean on the way to Hawaii? I would not even think of putting up the kite in those conditions in SF Bay!  

Back and forth we went, you took off that last night, I thought you were gone for sure..... then crashed, put up your small kite, and we were able to keep up....The morning was light, so we were able to pull away, way away, way way away, and then you finished just 48 minutes behind us!!!???#$%##  

It was great fun, and most amazing.  Both of us from the same YC, and hell both from the same "C" fairway!

A race, and a fun time I will never forget.

Great memories,

Steve

No comments: